A position in a Banner Health pharmacy is one you can look forward to. Join an engaging environment of full service, high technology and experience a wide variety of responsibilities. You'll also see how important a pharmacy job is to our ability to make life easier for our patients. Come enjoy great challenges and build both your knowledge of the field and your analytical skills.
This position will be hired into the newly formed Pharmacy Shared Services. This position will support Banner Family Pharmacy - Home Delivery and Banner Pharmacy Services - Specialty Care. This Department is responsible to provide direct patient care to patients and their caregivers by assisting with financial assistance and prior authorizations.
As a Pharmacy Patient Advocate technician you will sit onsite at BMDACC Gilbert and you will be working on infusion drug financial assistance. Ideally we are looking for a candidate who is familiar with drug financial assistance - oncology drugs would be a plus, computer savvy, personable as you will be working in the clinic and interacting with staff and possibly meeting with patients in-person. . You will be a part of a very rewarding line of work, with a high functioning team that offers opportunity for professional growth. In addition you will be able to work within the hours of 8am-5pm, no weekends or holidays, with flexible hours during the week. This position is located in Gilbert.
Banner Pharmacy Services division provides excellent patient care across our entire continuum through convenient access, improved medication outcomes and innovative pharmacy practices. Banner Pharmacy Services will be recognized nationally as a clinical leader and trusted partner in proactively providing innovative pharmacy services through excellence in integration, care coordination, medication management and service to make a difference in people's lives. Banner is expanding its focus from being a hospital company to a clinical quality company focused on population health management. Clinical Pharmacy Services are also included in this robust new service line and are responsible for the management of the Banner formulary, development of standardized system wide clinical pharmacy services, and management of adverse drug event preventions. Clinical Pharmacy Services provides collaborative drug therapy management and educational interventions in patient care to optimize medication therapy, improve outcomes, promote wellness, and disease prevention.
POSITION SUMMARY This position will work under the supervision of the pharmacist and/or technician supervisor. Requires knowledge of drugs, medical nomenclature, and the metric system to enter data into the computer system to fill prescriptions and to obtain reimbursement/payment. Serves as a liaison between the customer and the pharmacists, physicians, and third party administrators. Will also take requests for prescription refills and obtain necessary prior authorizations. Available, as scheduled, to answer inbound calls while protecting the confidentiality of member information and adhering to company policies regarding patient health information (PHI). Makes outbound calls as needed, faxes providers' offices, and provides exceptional, courteous and professional customer service. Must demonstrate the ability to research complex issues across multiple databases, work with support resources to resolve member issues, and own problems through to resolution on behalf of the member in real time or follow-up with the member as soon as possible.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Researches clinical data necessary to complete and maintain prior authorization, and interfaces with prescribers to ensure that referrals are complete and include all necessary clinical and demographic information. However, PPAs are prohibited from conducting evaluation or interpretation of clinical data.
2. Performs test claims to determine copayment/coinsurance amounts, with applicable patient assistance programs. Understand copays, formularies and special pricing to ensure claims are adjudicated correctly and adjustments are performed when applicable.
3. Builds and maintains strong relationships with patients, and serves a primary point-of-contact throughout the duration of therapy. Educates the patient about coordination of benefits and plan of care.
4. Obtains applicable financial resources, such as patient assistance and foundation grant support, to assist in covering the patient's portion of therapy. Interfaces with revenue cycle to establish payment plans, when necessary, and coordinates communication with the patient regarding patient financial responsibility.
5. Documents coordination of benefits and plans of care in pharmacy applications, and communicates to stakeholders as needed to ensure optimal medication therapy. Partner with others to handle and resolve escalated issues when appropriate and act urgently when necessary.
6. Input orders efficiently with attention to detail, includes order entry, billing, crediting, and updating medical records. Meet departmental standards for production and quality improvement strategies, schedule adherence as well as participate in training and self-development opportunities when appropriate.
7. Attends to customers and answers telephones in a courteous and timely manner. Serves as a liaison between the customer the pharmacists, physicians, and third party members. May also take requests for prescription refills and obtain necessary prior authorizations.
8. Works with various parties such as third party payers, providers, and other pharmacies while providing proper documentation for adjudication discrepancies or to obtain prior authorizations when needed.
9. This position services patients referred to an outpatient pharmacy service line, but has no role in the clinical aspects of the patient management program. Internal customers include but are not limited to employees, patients, and management at the local, regional, and corporate levels. External customers include but are not limited to, practicing physicians, vendors, and the community.
Skills and knowledge typically attained with acquiring a Pharmacy Technician License. Current and unrestricted licensure is required.
May be required to possess a valid driver's license.
Must demonstrate 3 or more years of experience performing in a pharmacy technician role. Must possess good organizational, problem solving, and computer skills. Must have good written and verbal communication skills for interfacing with all levels of staff, physicians, patients and other contacts. Previous experiences working with pharmacy benefit managers, insurance verification, or patient assistance.
Previous experiences working with pharmacy benefit managers, insurance verification, or patient assistance. Employees working at Banner MD Anderson or BUMC-P Whole Health Counseling must possess a State of Arizona Department of Public Safety Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) certification. Pharmacy technician experience. Knowledge of medication management information system software and automated dispensing systems. Highly proficient in analyzing complex claim transactions and systems with the ability to effectively define issues, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to follow changing instructions and execute special projects as required and additional duties as assigned.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.