Help lead health care into the future. Make real change in health care with the freedom to innovate and highly trained staff to execute your vision. Apply today to join the Banner Health leadership team.
Banner Pharmacy Services provides innovative pharmacy services and coordinated patient care across the continuum leading to improved medication outcomes.
The centralized prescription renewal program is a pharmacist-led initiative that supports all prescription renewal requests for select Banner Medical Group primary care providers. The clinical pharmacist works in this innovative practice and either approves or denies these refills under a collaborative practice protocol while making recommendations for medication therapy optimization. This position will be responsible for providing managerial and programmatic direction for team while performing the functions of the clinical pharmacist. Currently, this is a work from home position.
Banner Pharmacy Services division provides excellent patient care across our entire continuum through convenient access, improved medication outcomes and innovative pharmacy practices. Banner Pharmacy Services will be recognized nationally as a clinical leader and trusted partner in proactively providing innovative pharmacy services through excellence in integration, care coordination, medication management and service to make a difference in people's lives. Banner is expanding its focus from being a hospital company to a clinical quality company focused on population health management. Clinical Pharmacy Services are also included in this robust new service line and are responsible for the management of the Banner formulary, development of standardized system wide clinical pharmacy services, and management of adverse drug event preventions. Clinical Pharmacy Services provides collaborative drug therapy management and educational interventions in patient care to optimize medication therapy, improve outcomes, promote wellness, and disease prevention.
POSITION SUMMARY This position has oversight for maintaining and enhancing the quality of patient care through appropriate medication therapy. Develops, implements, and monitors clinical pharmacy services that support patient care and has a positive impact on the drug budget. Attends medical staff meetings and is responsible for education related to medication pharmacotherapy and drug utilization. Responsible for developing both medication use and disease-based evaluations. Performs comprehensive clinical assessments and collaborates with the integrated healthcare team to provide quality patient care. Accountable for on-going evaluation and documentation of all components of pharmaceutical care delivered to patients. Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients being served while maintaining the ideals of service excellence. Must possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status, interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements and provide pharmaceutical care based on those needs. Adheres to local, state, and federal laws regarding the profession of pharmacy practice.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Oversees the medical management of patients and the overall medication use process. Ensures appropriate and cost effective drug therapy through progressive clinical services. Critically evaluates drug therapy and makes recommendations to improve patient medication regimens. Analyzes and evaluates medication safety issues such as medication error rates and adverse drug reactions. Accurately and completely documents patient assessment data and clinical interventions.
2. Functions as a therapeutic consultant in areas that may include rational and appropriate use of medications, clinical pharmacology, pharmacokinetics, disease state management and nutrition.
3. Conducts educational activities that support the advancement of the pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and allied professionals where applicable on medication therapies and related topics. Serves as a primary preceptor for pharmacy clerkship students and pharmacy residents. Provides needed education to patients regarding their medication. If applicable, serves as the Program Director for the institution's Pharmacy Practice Residency Program.
4. Applies the principles of continuous quality improvement consistent with job expectations. Incorporates quality improvement principles into other activities and projects (i.e. data collection, documentation). Develops criteria for drug use evaluations, medication use indicators and disease-based evaluations. Provides leadership in support of the organization's clinical initiatives. Participates in facility or system committees as appropriate.
5. Provides oversight and assists with the development and implementation of evidence-based medication guidelines/protocols. Designs and implements medication monitoring guidelines and programs for both staff and clinical pharmacists.
6. Assists in recruiting, selecting, hiring and orienting qualified Clinical Pharmacist candidates. Evaluates clinical staff performance in an accurate, consistent, objective and timely manner.
7. Functions independently as a medication expert on hospital-wide multidisciplinary teams. Coordinates and participates in the preparation of agenda's, presents drug reviews and medication reports for the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee. Makes formulary recommendations for new medications and develops therapeutic interchange procedures. Is cognizant of operational budget and makes recommendations for cost containment and cost reduction strategies.
8. Participates in all aspects of medication use, including (1) selection, procurement and storage, (2) ordering or prescribing, (3) dispensing, (4) administering and (5) monitoring of all medications utilized. Internal customers may include Patients, Nurses, Licensed Independent Practitioners, Nursing Directors, Department Directors, Administrators and other health care team members for the purpose of integrating services, improving patient care and ensuring effective communication systems. External customers may include local, state, and national pharmacy organizations, Joint Commission, state Board of Pharmacy, colleagues and peers, educational institutions and pharmaceutical representatives
Requires a degree in Pharmacy from an accredited College of Pharmacy. For the Acute setting, Board certification (BCPS) must be obtained within one year of hire.
Requires current and unrestricted pharmacy licensure in the state of practice within 90 days of hire.
Must possess good organizational, problem solving and computer skills. Must possess good written and verbal communication skills for interfacing with all levels of staff, Physicians and other contacts.
Must have knowledge of medication management software, particularly pharmacy system software, Microsoft applications and automated dispensing systems.
Completion of an accredited pharmacy residency program is preferred. Board Certification (BCPS).
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.