JOB SUMMARY: The Licensed Practice Nurse (LPN) works in close collaboration with the licensed Advanced Practice Clinician to evaluate the patient's reason for visit. All patient care activities are undertaken with the delegation/supervision of a licensed professional. In accordance with VIP standards and licensure regulations, under the adequate supervision of a licensed professional, the LPN uses and documents the nursing process to plan, deliver and evaluate goal-focused, individualized, safe, age-specific care for patients.
1.Customer Servicea)Uses current technology to pull patients expeditiously from waiting rooms to exam areas. b)Proactively communicates delays to patients.c)Demonstrates professional behavior in all setting visible to patients and visitors.d)Proactively identifies patient/visitor needs and takes steps to assist.e)Applies age specific/cultural considerations to the patients.
2.Planning and Managing Carea)Gathers screening and other data for the health care team.b)Demonstrates individual and team accountability by meeting basic patient/family needs: oAccompanies patients/families to exam rooms oPrepares patient for examination oPerforms diagnostic testing (e.g. spirometry).c)Works with MD/provider to maintain efficient, effective clinic flow; checks schedules and organizes patient flow.d)Assists MD/provider with routine office procedure and collects lab specimense)Maintains patient's charts and other patient care documents within the electronic health record.f)Prepares diagnostic testing requisitions.g)Communicates patient needs to MD/provider through accurate use of electronic health record task system.h)Ensures cleanliness of exam room equipment, instruments; and keeps exam rooms adequately stocked. i)Notifies appropriate staff member when supply inventory is low to ensure that clinic is adequately stocked.j)Assists in maintain
3.Patient/Family Education*Distributes patient family education material as directed by providers.*Incorporates a variety of resources to teach & support patient and family learning (e.g., nebulizer training)
4.Continuous Learning*Participates in staff meetings.*Develops and achieves personal and professional goals.*Contributes to the achievement of VIP goals.*Participates in the quality improvement through data collection and documentation.
5.Communication and Collaboration*Communicates and collaborates effectively with all members of the health care team.*Coordinate's clinic flow to optimize efficiencies.*Uses EHR effectively.*Personal behavior positively influences environment.*Receives feedback in a respectful and positive manner.
6.Lab Duties*Analysis of specimens oIdentifies and processes patient samples using appropriate laboratory protocol, inclusive of laboratory safety protocol. oPerforms analysis using appropriate procedures including reagent preparation and appropriate QC. oOperates instruments and equipment accurately and efficiently using established protocol and QC checks. oCompletes analysis within established time deadlines. *Evaluation of results oEvaluates results obtained from patient and QC samples to assure validity before reporting values. *Laboratory compliance oMaintains files per individual laboratory protocol. *oPerforms and documents corrective and preventive maintenance and instrument function checks and records per department policy and protocol, both routine and periodic. oRecognizes and documents instrument malfunction and takes corrective action by performing repairs or notifying a supervisor. oRestocks, documents receipt of, opening, and expiration
7.Regular and reliable attendance required
8.All other duties as assigned
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S2):
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Seeks to understand colleagues priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns tosupervisors in a timely manner.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S2):
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.