Location: Wilmington, Delaware
ChristianaCare is recruiting for a Medical Laboratory Scientist II. This is a day shift position. Every third weekend required with flexibility for additional weekends. Two to three holidays per year required.
As the Medical Laboratory Scientist II, you will perform laboratory testing and associated activities to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of patients. You will also be an advisor and resource to lab staff on technical and operational issues.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advises technical staff on technical and operational issues; guides and assists staff in the performance of laboratory procedures, as needed.
- Advises clerical staff on clerical and operational issues; guides and assists staff in the performance of clerical procedures, as needed.
- Assesses lab workload and establishes priorities for staff, as necessary.
- Reviews and evaluates quality control data; investigates quality control and calibration problems for lab instrumentation.
- Provides input to supervisor regarding staff performance for evaluations.
- Assists supervisor, technical specialists, and manager in preparing for regulatory and accreditation agency inspections.
- Performs supply inventory and orders supplies, as directed.
- Attends technical meetings, as needed.
- Attends offsite instrument or middleware training programs in anticipation of being a key operator. Transfers knowledge and assists with the training/cross-training of employees and students.
- Communicates technical and operational information effectively, as needed.
Excels in all duties of a Medical Laboratory Scientist including performing test procedures accurately as listed in the procedure manuals.
- Verifies specimen identification, processes test orders, adheres to established turnaround times, documents calls and verifies critical values.
- Performs and records all scheduled instrument preventive maintenance procedures. Performs basic troubleshooting and calls appropriate hotlines, and documents.
- Packages specimens for internal and/or commercial laboratory, as well as research study pickups.
- Follows all CCHS and laboratory safety policies. Reviews laboratory safety manual annually
- Cooperates with supervisors and co-workers and maintains a good rapport with other departments. Presents a professional, well-groomed appearance at all times. Answers the telephone courteously and promptly.
- Participates in quality assurance as directed by section manager.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- BS in Medical Technology or Medical Laboratory Science
- At least two years of medical technology or medical laboratory science experience
- ASCP Certification preferred