Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as we help advance health equity on a global scale. Here, you will find talented peers, comprehensive benefits, a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, career growth opportunities and your life's best work.(sm)
Positions in this function is under the general direction of the Utilization Management Manager, the Utilization Management Nurse is responsible for prospective and concurrent/retrospective review of referrals ensuring regulatory requirements are being met as they relate to language readability and appropriate citation of criteria in Member correspondence. This position is responsible to ensure meeting Member’s needs using nationally recognized UM criteria.
- Screening and reviewing prospective, concurrent, and retrospective referrals and authorizations for medical necessity and appropriateness of service and care and discussing with Medical Directors
- Coordinate health care services with appropriate physicians, facilities, contracted providers, ancillary providers, allied health professionals, funding sources and community resources
- Prospective review to determine appropriateness of denial, possible alternative treatment, and draft denial language to ensure consistent application of standardized, nationally recognized UM criteria and appropriate use of denial language
- Coordinate out -of- network and out - of - area cases with member, health plans and Case Management team
- Review’s patient referrals within the specified care management policy timeframe (Type and Timeline Policy)
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships, with physicians and office staff
- Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the cost consequences resulting from care management decisions through utilization of appropriate reports such as Health Plan Eligibility and Benefits and Division of Responsibility (DOR)
- Maintains effective communication with the health plans, physicians, hospitals, extended care facilities, patients, and families
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Graduation from an accredited Licensed Vocational Nurse program
- Current LVN license
- 1+ years of clinical experience working as an LVN/LPN
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- 3+ years of experience working as an LVN/LPN
- 2+ years of previous care management, utilization review or discharge planning experience
- Experience in an HMO or experience in a Managed Care setting
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
California Residents Only: The hourly range for California residents is $18.80 to $36.78. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone-of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income-deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes - an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.