Physician - Monday- Friday
No evenings or weekends
1406 Fitch Street
San Antonio, Texas
Methodist Healthcare Ministries of South Texas, Inc. (MHM) is a private, faith-based, not-for-profit organization dedicated to creating access to health care for uninsured and low-income families through direct services, community partnerships, and strategic grant-making in 74 counties across South Texas. Methodist Healthcare Ministries believes that to improve the wellness of the least served and fully live out its mission, it must recognize the inequities inherent in its communities that contribute to poor health outcomes. Health Equity is both the process and goal by which Methodist Healthcare Ministries seeks to carry out that purpose. Health Equity is a framework of thought and action that strives to reduce racial and socioeconomic disparities and create fair and just opportunities for every person to reach their full potential for health and life, and contribute to that of others, as we broaden the definition of health care across our service area.
- Maintains patient confidentiality and comply with all federal and state health information privacy laws.
- Provides primary medical patient care by interviewing, examining, and treatment of clinic patients.
- Ensures appropriate records, reports, claims and correspondences necessary and appropriate in connection with all examinations, procedures and other professional services rendered in the clinic are kept and maintained.
- Complies with Clinic policies regarding record keeping as related to charges and billing policies for patient’s services.
- Consults with Medical Director and other professionals on staff as appropriate regarding patient care, assessment, and education issues.
- Provides medical services at the Clinic pursuant to agreed upon schedules.
- Provides appropriate coverage for services in the Clinic at all times.
- Participates in integrated health care model which includes Dentistry/Psychiatry/Behavioral Health and other health services offered by MHM.
- Oversees mid-level medical practitioners as assigned.
- Oversees nursing clinic staff.
- Assists in the resolution of complaints, requests and inquiries from patients.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Graduate of a medical school accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (such as the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) or the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)) or the Educational Commission for Medical Graduates (ECFMG). Documented appropriate continuing medication education commensurate with licensure. Two years related experience in hospital, clinical setting or related field preferred. Experience working in a clinical setting with underserved populations preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to use original or innovative techniques or styles to provide effective communication on complex topics to management.
Ability to apply principles of logic or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
Certificates and Licenses:
Current State of Texas Medical License. Basic Life Support (BLS), Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) preferred. Current DEA prescribing license. Board Certified or eligible in Family Practice or Internal Medicine.
Demonstrate working knowledge of the Internet, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel and electronic health record software.
Ability to drive and have access to a car; maintain valid driver’s license and auto liability insurance.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a team member encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is exposed to a medical office environment having direct contact with patients and clients. Position necessitates bending, stooping, twisting, turning, walking, climbing step stools, sitting and standing for periods of time. Must be able to lift and maneuver 15 pounds. May require periodic in-town travel and periodic out of town travel. May occasionally be required to work evenings and/or weekends.